to ensure your own safety and to prevent possible damage to your OB–4:
do not expose OB–4 to rain or moisture. clean with a dry cloth. place OB–4 on a flat and level surface to prevent it from falling.
protect your hearing. be careful when turning up the volume and do not listen too close to the speaker on high volume for a long time.
to prevent malfunction or damage, turn off the power to all devices before connecting OB–4 with other units.
OB–4 has a very low idle power consumption. but, if you are not going to use it for a longer period of time we recommend unplugging.
10 ºc to 35 ºc (50°f to 95°f)
-10 ºc to 45 ºc (14°f to 113°f)
20% to 80% non-condensing
the internal battery already has some charge out of the box, but we recommend
1 to 2 hours of charging
the first time you use your OB–4.
to charge, insert the power cord into the inlet in the back. while charging, the line input led will be red. when charging is complete the red led will turn off.
to power on, turn the volume knob clockwise.
check the battery status on the display by tilting OB–4 forward or back.
OB–4 is designed to sound fantastic anywhere.
for the best listening experience in a room; place OB–4 on a table, windowsill or shelf.
if you want to make the bass response richer, place the back panel about 10 cm from a wall or window.
an alternative way of placing OB–4 is tilted, leaning on its handle. this way the top panel is easily accessible and visible.
press the input button to select audio source. hold the input button to activate magic functions. the line input works with 3.5mm line level analog audio input.
in bluetooth mode, press the play button to play / pause / skip / go back.
in radio mode, press the play button to search for the next station.
the volume knob controls the volume level.
at the beginning of the volume knob is the power switch. the volume knob is motorized and will react to adjustments made over bluetooth.
OB–4 records all playback on a 2-hour magic tape.
3.5 mm line level audio input.
(on back of speaker)
use the input button to select mode.
there are four modes. line in, bluetooth, FM radio or disk mode.
turn down the volume on OB–4 before connecting.
connect your audio device with a 3 or 4 pole audio cable. avoid using a 2-pole (mono) cable.
a blinking blue led shows OB–4 is ready to pair.
follow the pairing process on your desired device.
when connected the led will turn solid blue.
press the play button to play. press it again to pause.
double tap to skip track. triple tap to return to the previous track.
rotate the tape dial to rewind and fast forward. tap play to return to realtime.
read more about scrub and tape transport here
press the play button to search for the next available FM station. the screen will show the current FM station.
hold input and tap play to search backwards – down the FM band.
rotate the tape dial to rewind and fast forward. this can be useful to rewinding radio if you missed something! tap play to return to realtime.
read more about scrub and tape transport here
a collection of sounds to help you relax.
this is an early experimental mode that will be updated over time!
long hold play to switch between different sound collections.
use the tape wheel to set the timer. by default it will be set to endless. after 15 seconds, use the tape wheel to tweak the sound engine.
hold input and use the tape wheel to adjust the mix. tap play to search for the next available FM station.
light some incense.
tap play to skip to the next
use the tape dial to change tempo.
the display shows beats per minute. tap play to skip to the next sound set.
hold input and tap play to re-trigger the metronome counter.
hold the input button as a shift key to enable magic functions.
the best way to understand these functions is to play around with them!
scrub back and forth using the tape reel.
the tape will keep recording in the background as you scrub.
the display arrow shows that you are on the tape.
press play button to return to realtime. scrub works for line in, bluetooth and radio modes.
hold input and use the volume knob to rewind or slow down playback.
release input button while using the tape transport
to lock playback to the new speed.
hold the input button to use the volume knob as a tape transport. turn the volume knob back and forth to change speed and to far left to rewind and far right to fast forward. release input button while using the tape transport to lock playback to the new speed.
hold input to go back to normal speed. the display will show +1.0x.
press play to return to realtime.
the tape always keeps recording for two hours.
hold input and play buttons to record a loop.
the loop starts when you hold both buttons and ends when you release them.
when in loop mode, you can hold input and use the volume knob to divide or multiply the loop length.
the display shows the loop length.
hold play and use the volume knob to slide the loop position back and forth along the tape. sliding is tempo locked. the display shows the position of the loop.
press play button to exit the loop. press play button again to skip to realtime.
loop works for line in, bluetooth and radio modes!
OB–4 has an integrated antenna, built into the handle.
in some places you will get a better signal if you use the extended antenna.
tighten the loop end of the antenna around the handle knob. on the left-hand side of OB–4 works best.
try a few different positions to see what works best.
keep the antenna away from metal wiring and objects.
once you've found a good position, you could find a place to hand the antenna using the integrated hanger.
usually the antenna works best if it is full extended away from OB–4.
for listening on the go, the curly section of the antenna fits into the handle. grab the rubber stoppers and stretch to fit.
orthoplay is software designed to control and configure OB–4 and other TE devices.
use orthoplay to remotely control OB–4, upgrade the speaker OS and more.
tap the name below the speaker and enter the name you want to use. this will also update that name you see over bluetooth.
select bluetooth mode to pair with your ortho remote. a flashing blue led shows OB–4 is ready to connect.
once connected the led will turn solid blue.
see the ortho remote guide for further instructions.
visit the ortho remote guide
important safety instructions
1. read these instructions.
2. keep these instructions.
3. heed all warnings.
4. follow all instructions.
5. do not use this apparatus near water.
6. clean only with dry cloth.
7. do not block any ventilation openings. install in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
8. do not install near any heat sources such as radiators, heat registers, stoves, or other apparatus (including amplifiers) that produce heat.
9. do not defeat the safety purpose of the polarised or grounding-type plug. a polarised plug has two blades with one wider than the other.
a grounding type plug has two blades and a third grounding prong. the wide blade or the third prong are provided for your safety. if the provided plug does not fit into your outlet, consult an electrician for replacement of the obsolete outlet.
10. protect the power cord from being walked on or pinched particularly at plugs, convenience receptacles, and the point where they exit from the apparatus.
11. only use attachments/accessories specified by the manufacturer.
12. use only with the cart, stand, tripod, bracket, or table specified by the manufacturer, or sold with the apparatus. when a cart is used, use caution when moving the cart/apparatus combination to avoid injury from tip-over.
13. unplug this apparatus during lightning storms or when unused for long periods of time.
14. refer all servicing to qualified service personnel. servicing is required when the apparatus has been damaged in any way, such as power-supply cord or plug is damaged, liquid has been spilled or objects have fallen into the apparatus, the apparatus has been exposed to rain or moisture, does not operate normally, or has been dropped.
warning: to reduce the risk of fire or electric shock, do not expose this appliance to rain or moisture. do not expose this equipment to dripping or splashing and ensure that no objects filled with liquids, such as vases, are placed on the equipment.
warning: the mains plug/appliance coupler is used as disconnect device, the disconnect device shall remain readily operable.
- this lightning flash with arrowhead symbol within an equilateral triangle is intended to alert the user to the presence of non- insulated “dangerous voltage” within that is sufficient to constitute a risk of electric shock.
warning: to reduce the risk of electric shock, do not remove cover (or back) as there are no user-serviceable parts inside. refer servicing to qualified personnel.
- the exclamation point within an equilateral triangle is intended to alert the user to the presence of important operating and maintenance instructions in the literature accompanying the appliance.
no naked flame sources, such as lighted candles should be placed on the product.
follow instructions to ensure correct and safe installation and interconnection of equipment in multimedia systems.
this equipment is a class ii or double insulated electrical appliance. it has been designed in such a way that it does not require a safety connection to electrical earth.
electrical and electronic equipment, parts and batteries marked with this symbol must not be disposed of with normal household wastage, it must be collected and disposed of separately to protect the environment.z
1. this device complies with part 15 of the fcc rules. operation is subject to the following two conditions:
(1) this device may not cause harmful interference, and
(2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.
2. changes or modifications not expressly approved by the party responsible for compliance could void the user’s authority to operate the equipment.
note: this equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a class b digital device, pursuant to part 15 of the fcc rules. these limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference in a residential installation.
this equipment generates uses and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio communications. however, there is no guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular installation. if this equipment does cause harmful interference to radio or television reception, which can be determined by turning the equipment off and on, the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one or more of the following measures:
reorient or relocate the receiving antenna. increase the separation between the equipment and receiver.
connect the equipment into an outlet on a circuit different from that to which the receiver is connected.
consult the dealer or an experienced radio/tv technician for help.
this device contains licence-exempt transmitter(s)/receiver(s) that comply with innovation, science and economic development canada’s licence-exempt rss(s).
operation is subject to the following two conditions:
(1) this device may not cause interference; and
(2) this device must accept any interference, including interference that may cause undesired operation of the device.
cet appareil contient des émetteurs / récepteurs exemptés de licence conformes aux rss (rss) d'innovation, sciences et développement économique canada.
l’exploitation est autorisée aux deux conditions suivantes :
(1) l’appareil ne doit pas produire de brouillage, et
(2) l’utilisateur de l’appareil doit accepter tout brouillage radioélectrique subi, meme si le brouillage est susceptible d’en compromettre le fonctionnement.”